Monday, July 6, 2015

Cultural Ponderings: Has 'Bougie' Been Down Graded?

**This is a post I wrote a while ago but never published I don't think I finished it but I needed to test out blog post pagination so here is that cultural pondering I had about a couple of years ago. If you like it, "Yay!" If not, that is okay. This was pretty much just a stream of conscious musing anyway** 




A week or so ago I read a post from one of my favorite blogs, Very Smart Brothas titled "Sh!t Bougie Black Girls Say". This amusing post was later followed by the YouTube skit of a similar name (video located at end of the post). While very amusing, the post left my best friend and I with a realization -- Bougie has been down graded.


A Bourgeoisie Overview

Now back in my college years in the 19__'s, the black bourgeoisie -- or as they often called bougie or bourgie -- were the African-Americans who were middle-class, had at least a four-year college education and worked within Corporate America behind a desk and computer. They had expensive, not extravagant taste, but were commonly known to try and "keep up with the Joneses". There were two types of black bourgeoisie, the old and the new.

The old black bourgeoisie actually came from money. They had a traceable lineage that connected them to their wealth. They were upper-class and upper middle-class African-Americans who either lived on or had vacation homes in Martha's Vineyard, Southern estates and some even came from families that once owned slaves. These blacks were either (traditional) Ivy League educated or attended one of the Black Ivy colleges -- Morehouse, Howard, Hampton, Fisk, Tuskegee and Spelman. They often did not need to "keep up with the Joneses" because they were The Joneses!

The new bourgeoisie did not come from a family of wealth. They came from middle-middle and lower-middle class (working class) families. However, these African-Americans often excelled in school academically and sometimes athletically and attended either an Ivy League or Black Ivy school. One thing that was important with the new bourgeoisie was establishing a network. This is where belonging to a Black Greek fraternity or sorority  comes into importance. The Black Greek organizations became a nouveau-lineage for the new bourgeoisie.







Pages: 1 2 3 4 

2 comments:

  1. I first wrote this back 2013 I think. It was just a spark but it serves as a good test for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and if anyone has any tips on how to get rid of the huge chunk of space between the title of the post and the body text of each page after the initial one I would appreciate it. I have no clue.

    ReplyDelete