Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cash Your Checks

Malcolm X Martin Luther King Poster Historic HandshakeWhen the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the "unalienable Rights" of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note, insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds."
 
But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. And so, we've come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice. - Martin Luther King Jr. Excerpt from his 1963 speech "I Have A Dream"

Martin Luther King, Jr.: Right People Art Poster Print, 16x16Life is a struggle. In these times life is hard for most Americans, especially financially. However, what are we doing to make sure that we continue to get paid?

I am not talking about that bank note or direct deposit many look forward to. I am referring to your payment of freedom, justice and opportunity. We have all been sent checks that many of us have allowed to expire. Now that treasury is close to running dry so these checks are no longer as plentiful as they once were. Fewer Americans are taking advantage of these checks when they do come their way. Unfortunately, I see this most within my own race.

While we may not be aware of every check that has landed into our hands, there are some that are crucial to our survival in this country and in this world. Here are a few of the checks I cashed.

  • High school diploma
  • Registered voter
  • Exercising my right to vote
  • College degree
  • Served jury duty
  • Remaining a free citizen of the United State of American so I can continue to cash my checks that allow me to take part in justice (jury duty), protect my freedoms (exercising my right to vote) and travel freely (having a valid U.S. Passport) around the world knowing that my actions even in a small way reflect people's opinion about my country.

These are a few of the checks I have cashed and I continue to cash my freedom check, by not being incarcerated. I don't want to lose my freedom or my checks. While I may complain about jury duty, I thank God for it. It means I get to take part in making sure justice is served. While sometimes the polls can be cumbersome, I thank God that I still have the right to vote. While the flow of information coming in from various sources can be overwhelming I thank God that I cashed my check for education so I can process this information and make informed decisions in my life.

These few checks I have cashed give me the opportunity to survive in this country and in this world. These checks help me to find new, legal ways to earn a living. These checks allow for me to pass along the blessings I have been gifted. I want to continue to receive and cash all of the checks that have and those that will come into my life. However, I can not do that if throw away my freedom.

Enjoy the freedoms you have, cash those checks when they come your way and teach the ones who come after you to do the same. Many have lost their lives so that we have this opportunity. Don't be any number that has wasted it.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, I hope that you won't mind if I use this in my black history program, this piece must me heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure you can. For my personal blog posts, I don't mind if people use them as long as they credit me and/or the author of the text I used.

    ReplyDelete